Our number one rule: Sell your morels as soon as possible after picking them. Mushrooms contain a lot of water, so dehydration costs you quality and weight and therefore Money!
Other guidelines to follow if you want to sell your morels:
1. Do NOT wash them!
2. Keep mushrooms as dry and cool as possible. Refrigerate if not selling the same day as picked. Even refrigerate them if a few hours lapse after picking and before selling.
3. Keep mushrooms out of direct sunlight.
4. Cut morels off at ground level. This protects the mycelium and more morels will grow.
5. Keep dirt, sticks and grass out of the container you are putting the morels in.
6. Do not crush by stacking mushrooms too deep.
7. Do not use plastic bags for picking—morels have extremely active enzymes that generate heat like silage. Instead:
A. use paper grocery sacks or plastic baskets with holes
B. use cardboard boxes that are not waxed or
C. use a plastic pail that you have drilled holes in for ventilation
8. If it is windy and morels are full of sand, do not pick these. We cannot sell sandy mushrooms…which means we will NOT buy them from you!
9. Bring your mushrooms to one of our buying stations as soon as you possibly can. This cannot be stressed enough. During mushroom season, we are open 7 days a week for your convenience.